Some of you may have heard of or seen the seminal Hip-Hop movie Wildstyle, now comes a new project from super talented Kenny Dope (one half of Masters At Work) & his label Kay-Dee, the first in a series of forthcoming publications; if this first edition is anything to go by then the series will be highly coveted by music and book aficionados alike.
With the correct background and respect for the genre, Kenny Dope has done an excellent job, the music and the surrounding book both bring ‘new’ elements to the audience, with the songs being re-EQ’d from the original tapes, instead of rehashed from what was currently available, and the times and music recounted by people who actually made the genre: Fab 5 Freddy and GrandWizzard Theodore among those interviewed.
Listen to some of the music on Kenny Dope’s Soundcloud here.
The book features the following elements:
• 13 songs total, spread out over seven “big hole” 45s (each with a different label color).
• Re-EQed audio with re-edited / extended audio versions of each song, modified from original source tapes.
• Extensive liner notes in a 28-page book, including dozens of images – from “Wild Style” director Charlie Ahearn, among other sources – as well as interviews with Fab 5 Freddy, Chris Stein and GrandWizzard Theodore.
• The 14th side (the B-side of the seventh 45) features unique etchings with different “Wild Style” graphics.
• Unique “Kay-Dee Casebook” packaging – all seven 7-inches fit into a book as self-contained pages.
Apart from being a great resource and well researched piece this is clearly going to be an item you will keep, display, enjoy for years to come – Just the cover is enough to get any Hip-Hopper excited!
This is a piece of Hip-Hop history, presented in the way that befits the culture.