The Shelf Wobbler himself Mr Scruff is currently touring America after a 6 year absence, for anyone located near one of the shows we would highly recommend going! He is a one of a kind DJ & producer and is sure to keep any crowd rocking from start to finish, in celebration here is some of his stuff…
Mr. Scruff 100% Vinyl set @ Piccadilly Records, Manchester
Feel Free (Scruff’s 12″ Re-Tweak)
Having seen the guy play live well over 10-15 times, I really can’t express how good he is! Dust off those dancing shoes…
For gig news & the online store, visit his website here.
Also on SoundCloud, Twitter and Facebook.
Very nice slice of super laid back African vibes in the inbox this morning…
The Malawian 5 Piece Afro-Country-Fusion band are currently gearing up for their debut global release, ‘Made in Malawi.’ Neil, a singer songwriter from Kent, has ventured into the heart of Africa and has collaborated with the award winning outfit known as ‘Konkalazi’ to create this ground-breaking album. Their debut video ‘Chemwali,’ beautifully shot in Malawi, has been released along with the album on pre-order via Bandcamp & Cd Baby.
Purchase the album ‘Made in Malawi’ here. Find out more on their website here, Facebook and Youtube.
Now a banger from the forthcoming Dilated Peoples album. The legendary group have been away for a while, members such as Evidence concentrating on their solo work, but now they’re back and if this is anything to go by the album is gonna be straight dope!
FOCUS FOUND – Watch Dilated Peoples talk about the album title and a few of the tracks in part 3 of the interview series here:
Artist: Dilated Peoples
Title: Directors of Photography (Album)
UK Release: 11th August 2014
Find out more by checking out the Dilated Peoples page over on Ryhmesayers here.
Damn! bringing you a real gem of a mix here, fresh from Bestival
, here is Mighty Atom’s excellent Funk, Soul and Motown mix. You lucky people!
Mighty Atom, 4 x DMC Champion from UK turntablist super crew The Disablists, has dropped an exclusive new mix for one of the UK’s largest festivals, Bestival.
The mix expertly cuts up legendary Funk and Motown hits from the likes of Stevie Wonder, Barry White and Martha Reeve. Employing his incredible turntablist technique, Mighty Atom breathes new life into these old hits.
Bestimix: Mighty Atom by Bestimix on Mixcloud
1. Gwen Mcrae – Rocking Chair (Mighty Atom’s Blahzay Blahzay Scratch Intro Edit)
2. Barry White – Im Gonna Love You Just a Little Bit More/ The Cecil Holmes Soulful Sounds – Im Gonna Love You Just a Little Bit More/ Lloyd Charmers – Im Gonna Love You Just a Little Bit More/ Kellee Patterson – Im Gonna Love You Just Little Bit More
3. Blackstreet – No Diggity (Acapella)/Hackney Colliery Band – No Diggity
4. Stevie Wonder – Superstition/ Stevie Wonder – Superstition (Acapella)/Oneness of Juju – African Rhythms
5. James Brown – Cold Sweat/ Public Enemy – Welcome To The Terrordome/Marva Whitney – Unwind Yourself/ Martha Reeves & The Vandellas – Nowhere To Run (Acapella)
6. Martha Reeves & The Vandellas – Nowhere To Run
7. Archie Bell & The Drells – Tighten Up/ The Bamboos – Tighten Up (Mighty Atom’s Scratch Edit)
8. Rare Pleasure – Let Me Down Easy
9. Lyn Collins – Think/ Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston – It Takes Two (Acapella)/ Ritchie Havens – Going Back to My Roots/ Jonny L – Back to Your Roots (Acapella)/ Odyssey – Going Back to My Roots
Another new piece of freeness for you all, straight out of Chicago…
Featuring Alias John Brown and Morgan Freeman, produced by Tony Baines.
Here is a free EP you can cop by Bones, get it here.
Find out more by checking the Greasy Vinyl Facebook here.
For all you crazy, beautiful freaks this is the event for you! From Torture Garden & Wasted Chic Fashion Sales this event is a brand new alternative clothing market, which will feature a whole host of fantastically outrageous clothing by some of the hottest alternative brands.
Music will be provided by some of the Torture Garden crew and the event promises to be interesting and entertaining for fashion lovers and those who like a bit of naughtiness in their wardrobes.
Posted in exhibition, fashion, music
Tagged fashion, latex, le boutique bazaar, leather, lingerie, popup, pvc, torture gardens, wasted chic
Some of you may have heard of or seen the seminal Hip-Hop movie Wildstyle, now comes a new project from super talented Kenny Dope (one half of Masters At Work) & his label Kay-Dee, the first in a series of forthcoming publications; if this first edition is anything to go by then the series will be highly coveted by music and book aficionados alike.
With the correct background and respect for the genre, Kenny Dope has done an excellent job, the music and the surrounding book both bring ‘new’ elements to the audience, with the songs being re-EQ’d from the original tapes, instead of rehashed from what was currently available, and the times and music recounted by people who actually made the genre: Fab 5 Freddy and GrandWizzard Theodore among those interviewed.
Listen to some of the music on Kenny Dope’s Soundcloud here.
The book features the following elements:
• 13 songs total, spread out over seven “big hole” 45s (each with a different label color).
• Re-EQed audio with re-edited / extended audio versions of each song, modified from original source tapes.
• Extensive liner notes in a 28-page book, including dozens of images – from “Wild Style” director Charlie Ahearn, among other sources – as well as interviews with Fab 5 Freddy, Chris Stein and GrandWizzard Theodore.
• The 14th side (the B-side of the seventh 45) features unique etchings with different “Wild Style” graphics.
• Unique “Kay-Dee Casebook” packaging – all seven 7-inches fit into a book as self-contained pages.
Apart from being a great resource and well researched piece this is clearly going to be an item you will keep, display, enjoy for years to come – Just the cover is enough to get any Hip-Hopper excited!
This is a piece of Hip-Hop history, presented in the way that befits the culture.
Purchase it in the UK here, In the US you can buy it here.
Posted in art, design, graffiti, music, photography, products
Tagged fab 5 freddy, grandwizzard theodore, hip hop, hiphop, kay-dee, kenny dope, masters at work, wild style, wildstyle
And now for something very chilled out, a sublime piece from Eliza Shaddad, produced by Mercury Music Prize nominee Chris Bond. From her critically acclaimed debut EP, Waters, ‘Alright Again’ is both emotional and delicate with a melancholic edge, this folk acoustic piece demonstrates she is clearly a talent to watch, while other songs from the EP have an ambient warmth. The production throughout is top notch.
Eliza Shaddad – ‘Alright Again’ via Earmilk.
Catch her live with another beautiful singer, Andreya Triana (Sep 17th in London, tickets).
Buy the Waters EP here, follow her on Soundcloud here.
Okay so you may have already seen this doing the rounds, if not you’re in for a treat. Visually stunning stop motion animation made using foam models by Mikey Please (and a small but dedicated crew).
It’s not hard to see how the short has already picked up a series of prestigious awards from around the globe, the attention to detail, scope and actualisation are all stunning. It is certainly one of the most breath-taking, jaw-dropping, awe-inspiring pieces I have seen in a long while. Below you can watch the acclaimed short, read on to view some of the behind the scenes videos which show the immense amount of work which goes on behind the scenes.
Posted in animation, art, moving image, music
Tagged animated, animation short, marilyn myller, mikey please, stop frame, stop motion, stopmotion, time lapse, timelapse